A foodie's quest to turn up the heat through strength and conditioning with whole food and a hungry mind.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

WIAW #35 - Random Eats and A Happy Halloween Questionaire


If it wasn’t for What I Ate Wednesday’s, I don’t think I’d have one blog post this month!! Okay, maybe one. What’s up with that? Too busy at work? Kinda, but the really busy part has passed until year end. Whatever it is, I’ll just take it easy until my “post-ivation” comes back.

I think a big part has to do with the lack of pictures I’ve taken lately. If you don’t have pics, it’s really hard to be inspired or to find something to write about. Anyone else like this?

The seasonal winter squash and other produce have been cooked in my home, yet I don’t have much proof. Guess I have some catching up to do, but don’t know when that will be.
Anyway, with today being Halloween, I figure I would pose a few Halloween themed questions to you…..
What is your favorite memory of trick-or-treating as a kid?

Mine is when I was old enough to go out on my own with friends and feel soooo cool for running around shooting silly string everywhere. Remember that stuff; Silly String? The neon colored foam stuff in a can? When I was younger, just getting to dress up was my favorite part. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Superman were the best!


Would your parents go through your “treats” before you could have any?

My mom just trusted I wouldn’t have anything harmful…..so much for that!! Probably why I was a heavy boy!! Well, that and McD's or Burger King double meat burgers and fries.  Geez, glad I changed!

What candy or other treat did you most enjoy from your collection?

Snickers!! Some people would even hand out full bars in the “rich” neighborhoods. The next best were Almond Joys for me….chocolate and coconut = bliss.
What candy or treat do you enjoy now?

It’s crazy to think that now I wouldn’t touch stuff I had as a kid. I would just think of the candy by each of its low quality ingredients and couldn’t even enjoy it. Nope, I’m perfectly fine with my homemade treats using protein powder, veggie purees, egg whites, fruit, and stevia. Oh, and of course natural peanut butter!!
Halloween leftovers – More for you or “get’em outta here quick!”?

This is first year Kelley and I are handing out treats and it is a big deal to me. She wanted to just buy the candy you see in stores, but I feel like I’d be a hypocrite for giving kids things I wouldn’t touch. She argued it’s not our place and for the parents to decide and we don’t want the kids getting mad at us. Well, good points, but I just can’t support it; doing that would drive me insane. So we settled on Annie’s Homegrown Halloween Bunny Grahams and Dove Dark Chocolate.

Someone commented to me a couple weeks ago that they handed out mini boxes of raisins, and I loved the idea, but could never find a big bag at the store. Plus, Kelley did not like that idea one bit. So the Bunnies and Chocolate is us “meeting in the middle” and will have to suffice. I’ll admit, the Bunny Grahams are pretty cool being whole wheat and all; too bad I’m gluten free now…..


Are you handing out candy this year? If so, do you try to keep it healthy or just give the usual mix for fear of getting your house egged/toilet papered?

See my answers above.

Did you go to any Halloween parties this weekend or have one planned for tonight? If yes, are you dressing up?

I will just be at home handing out treats and have no parties lined up. Back in college, it was a different story, obviously, and I got it all out of my system then. I remember one year Kelley and I had a party at our first home and dressed as a plug and socket. I’ll let you decide on who was which….. : )
One year, I was Zorro one and thought it would be fun to have someone video tape me sword fighting with a friend…..with real swords! Needless to say, I got stabbed in the upper shin and the rest of the night I was getting stitches in my leg. And no, I hadn’t even started drinking yet. The hospital was cool enough to let my Kelley and my 2 of my friends in to video the whole stitching. Maybe I’ll post the video one day….

Did you ever have any Halloween mishaps like my sword stabbing? Was it because of your costume?

That’s all of the questions I can think of right now. Hope you all have some great answers as I’d love to hear them. Now, despite my lack of pictures, I’ll attempt to share a few of my eats that I most enjoy. Thanks to Jenn at Peas and Crayons; I can’t wait to see what November’s theme will be. Hopefully I’m better at participating unlike my non-spooky eats and treats this month.






I love microwaves! This Microwave Veggie Frittata is delicious, healthy, and ready in minutes!!
 Another microwave masterpiece - Microwave Protein Chocolate Peanut Cake
Creamy green smoothie with a slice of Microwave Protein Cinnamon Bread, Plain Greek Chobani, and Natty PB on top
This is how I start the majority of my dinners....big salads loaded with veggies and a source of lean protein.  Then it's on to my creamy veggie protein smoothies!
No-cook Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars (made by using my Pumpkin Protein Cookie recipe and adding cocoa powder).

Hope everyone has a Happy and Safe Halloween and I hope to see you around more often!

Happy WIAW!!

4 comments:

  1. No fair! My parents went through all of my candy, and any they deemed "unsafe" would get trashed. That included any homemade treats in ziploc baggies, any suspiciously torn things... I had to convince my mom that a rewrapped toostie roll looked completely different than an unwrapped one, thus, "no. There was no poison injected into it." Lol.

    Um. I think you need to post that Zorro video.

    That microwave protein chocolate peanut cake looks awesome. I love how you cut it into slices. How realistic. I need to do that next time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, they just worried and wanted to make sure you were safe is all...I'm sure. I guess I would be a little skeptical of ziploc bag goods unless I knew the person. But still, thinking back then, that would suck to have your collection tossed.

      Ok, I will work on getting the Zorro video online. It's on a digital 8mm tape right now and I would need to transfer it to my computer. I'll post it one day though, but I'll need to warn everyone that there is a good sized pool of blood in there.

      Yep, microwave cake looks, tastes, and is just all around awesome! The slices are perfect for smearing Greek yogurt and peanut butter on there too!

      Thanks for commenting, have a great rest of the week!

      Delete
  2. I need to make a microwave fritata. Anything that helps me get moving quickly in the morning is on my to-make list. Thanks for sharing all of your eats!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Microwave anything will definitely help you get moving any time of day, and homemade goods are always better than pre-made stuff. Glad you enjoyed and thank you for stopping by!

      Delete