A foodie's quest to turn up the heat through strength and conditioning with whole food and a hungry mind.

Friday, March 16, 2012

TGIF: Celebrate with a Chocolate Microwave Layer Cake!



Kelley and I went into Best Buy a few days ago and left new (to us) Nikon D3100 SLR camera. It all happened so fast, and all of the sudden we were at home with a new toy before I knew it. This is a big deal….really big, because we are usually conservative on how we spend our money on non-necessities. To give you an idea we don’t have smart phones and only get what’s free with a 2 year plan. I won't even cut my overgrown hair until Kelley lays down the spousal code and makes me.


But now we’re catching up with the times; just don’t be surprised if all of my recipes only involve beans and rice for a while! Of course, the biggest reason we bought the camera is because there's a newer model out now and ours, the predecessor, was on sale.


For blogging, this new Nikon SLR will enable me to start posting high quality photos (of beans and rice) for all viewers to see and savor. Plus, we needed a good camera to capture memories of our small family; us, two cats, a dog, and a turtle.


Basically, I’m excited about our new gadget and hopefully it will prove useful and enjoyable for the both of us. Being Friday with a a new camera to use I feel like celebrating by making something good and tasty. Hmmmm, I’m thinking……… Pumpkin Protein Crepes!



Quickly mix the batter, pour in a hot pan, sprinkle cinnamon, flip, wait, enjoy! Edible, guilt free celebration is the best kind!

MMM, you can see the sprinkled cinnamon cooked in!


Wait, I still don’t feel like I’ve celebrated enough; maybe I need a cake to make it official. I could make another delectable oatmeal cake like the one from yesterday’s post, but I don’t have any overnight oats and really don’t want to wait long.

Ohhh, I got it! I’ll make a chocolate layer cake and add Peanut Butter Chobani Greek yogurt icing all within in 5 minutes tops!


Interested? Make one for yourself…..it’s healthy indulgence at its finest.

How can I make this in only 5 minutes?  With the microwave, of course!



Microwave Chocolate Layer Cake
Get this stuff (makes 2 layers):


1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons whole grain flour (I used spelt)
3 tablespoons peanut flour or favorite protein powder
1/4 tsp salt
12 drops NuNaturals Stevia Liquid or 2 packets of NuNaturals White Stevia
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tablespoons pumpkin puree, applesauce, or mashed banana (I used pumpkin)
1/4 cup milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond milk)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons Chobani Greek yogurt icing
Optional: Add a pinch of Cayenne for a sweet and spicy chocolate treat.


Do this with the stuff:

Combine dry ingredients and mix very, very well. Add liquid, stir, then transfer to a small dish; I used a mini quiche ceramic dish for even cooking that’s perfect for layering. Microwave 45 seconds; you may need to do a few more runs in 9 second increments to make sure the bottom is cooked enough. Be sure to spray your dish first, and then wait for it to cool before trying to remove it. Repeat step for second layer.

Cover the first cake with frosting (if using), set the second layer on top, then cover with more frosting. Now make it all go away by eating; sharing is optional. This tastes so good it is perfect for a healthy dessert, but also healthy enough to work as a satisfying breakfast. Plus, since it can be made in minutes, it won’t take too long to cook one or more before you head out for the day.

I think next time I'll use ripe mashed banana to pair with
chocolate and peanut butter... YUM!


That’s more like it; full of rich chocolate celebration satisfaction. Say that 10 times fast….now! Sorry, I’m just happy it’s Friday and I have some new things to use going into the weekend.

Have you made any big purchases recently? If not, no worries, you can still make this cake and celebrate the making of it.

Last Chance: Today is the last day to enter to win NuNaturals Stevia products!

No comments:

Post a Comment