A foodie's quest to turn up the heat through strength and conditioning with whole food and a hungry mind.

Monday, August 6, 2012

Meatless Monday Microwave Frittata


Do you still eat fish and eggs on Meatless Monday? I mean, eggs aren’t meat, and fish is always classified as “fish” separately from “meat” when used in a sentence together. So, although I try to refrain from fish in observance of Meatless Monday, it might sneak in my meals occasionally.



Did you have a good weekend? I didn’t do much on Saturday, and Sunday was cook and mow the lawn day. Fun. We did pack the 3 bikes (1 road bike, 1 mountain bike, and Kelley’s mountain bike) that were in our garage into our car and sold them…..for way too cheap. I hated doing it, they were nice Giant brand bikes with some pricey components, but I don’t ride like I used to, so it was time to sell.

I want to buy a decent hybrid bike that I can use to ride to work (when it’s not 100+ here) and take it on a smooth off-road path if I so desire. Anyone else like to ride? Do you have any suggestions for a good all around bike?

Since my typical Sunday of trying to prepare 5 meals each for Kelley and me to take to work, experiment with at least 2 recipes, make a big bowl of healthy dessert dip to enjoy throughout the week, mow the lawn, and get a work out in, I sometimes forget to actually eat. You would think standing in the kitchen for hours and being surrounded by food would have me constantly eating, but my head is too wrapped up in everything I want to make!

Do you have that problem, or do you find yourself snacking and sampling your creations? Anywho, I was in need of something good, something quick, and obviously healthy; so I looked to the mighty microwave for help.

With half a bag of cut okra and a few carrots begging to be used, I microwave steamed the two in a somewhat shallow bowl. Not really looking like the okra and carrots would fill me up (surprise!), I added 3 egg whites and a little Artisana Coconut Oil right in the bowl. I don’t skimp on the seasonings, so after spicing the mix up, I put it back in the microwave for a minute. Another 30 seconds after that, and I had a healthy and tasty microwave “frittata.”

Artisana sent me several sample packs to try and review, and the coconut butter and oil are FAN-tastic! I can’t believe it took me this long to try the stuff! Anyway, keep an eye out for my review coming soon to a blog near you…..mine.


If eggs are on your acceptable list today, give this easy, healthy, and highly customizable dish a try; you’ll be happy you did!

Microwave Veggie Fritatta
by RC Liley
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 6-8 minutes
Ingredients (Serves 1)
  • 1.5 cups of frozen or fresh veggies of choice
  • 3 egg whites
  • A dash each of cumin, black pepper, dried basil, chili powder, and cayenne
  • 1/2 tbsp Artisana Coconut Oil
  • Favorite salsa and hot sauce for topping
Instructions
Microwave steam your veggies. I used cut okra and carrots, covered in a microwave-safe bowl and cooked for 5 1/2 minutes.
Add spices, egg whites, and coconut oil to your veggies and stir to combine.
Microwave uncovered for 1 minute 25 seconds.
Turn bowl to bring any uncooked egg to the side and cook another 45 seconds.
Remove from bowl* or eat in bowl using salsa and hot sauce as toppings.
Enjoy! This could be turned into a tasty veggie and egg sandwich too....maybe next time?
*You may need to coat your bowl with cooking spray to keep from sticking. I didn't use any and the fritatta came out easy, but just a note.
Powered by Recipage


After making a frittata in the microwave, I’m starting to question what else I could make in the “hot box.”


Q: Do you have any favorite microwave recipes? Please share what you have as I obviously love microwave cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment