A foodie's quest to turn up the heat through strength and conditioning with whole food and a hungry mind.

Saturday, January 26, 2013

My First Crossfit Total (CFT) and Lack of Fuel


Today I completed my first Crossfit Total (CFT) at home.  I didn't feel the best since it was the afternoon and I still had very little food for the day. There's a reason they call it fuel, and I was running on E.
 
Either way, I mostly happy with my numbers, but know I could've done better on back squat.  For the overhead press, I just need to get stronger!
 
For as strict I am about eating healthy, I admittedly have an unhealthy relationship with food sometimes.  I feel that I must perform some type of exercise before really eating that much.  I know that the body needs food just to function and repair itself from previous workouts, but for some reason I don't allow myself enough.
 
Our bodies need quality macro nutrients to rebuild and refuel for whatever comes next. Without this, you will begin to feel run down, unmotivated, and just irritable. Hmmm, sounds like someone...oh...me!  I'm getting better at this, but it's still an issue at times.
 
Along with my goal of increasing strength, I am working to increase my food intake. These things go hand in hand and you really can't get stronger without providing good food for the body.  So, I'll make sure to mention how I did with food for most days and hopefully it's in the right direction!
 
Crossfit Total WOD:
 
Warmup
Back Squat - 1 x 185, 215, 235, 255, 265 (F), 260 (F)
OH Press - 1 x 95, 105, 115 (F), 115
Deadlift - 1 x 235, 275, 315, 325, 330
 
CFT = 710lbs
 
This would put me between intermediate and advanced with my bodyweight of 160lbs and height of 5'10.  I know I could get a better squat, and will just need to work on the press. Geez, my upper body needs more strength! Hence my need to eat more.  If only I can get over the fear of instantly blowing up into a fatty. No matter how much I read it won't happen, I still worry.
 
I planned on doing the Deck of Cards WOD today, but was seriously lacking the energy.  I did muster out a quick 3 rounds of 3 x 270lb Deadlift and 5 x pullups.  Then I helped Kelley her strength workout of back squat and bench press.
 
It's supposed to be another 70 degree day tomorrow, so we'll try for the Deck of Cards routine then. I have some cooking to do for both of our lunches throughout the week, so hopefully I don't spend forever in the kitchen like I usually do.
 
The menu this week will include organic chicken franks cut up with beans and veggies in a homemade tomato sauce with a lot of garlic. Thinking I'll make something with quinoa and canned tuna as well.  I also have a mix of black and aduki beans soaking right now, so they'll be used in something tomorrow.
 
I'm off to refuel....again.  Have you ever tried exercising on little food intake? Did you like or dislike it?
Hope you have a great rest of the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment