A foodie's quest to turn up the heat through strength and conditioning with whole food and a hungry mind.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Crunchy Low-Fat Vanilla Protein French Toast


Mornings on the weekend should be relaxed and worry-free. Most of us spend 5 days in a row of rushing to get ready, get food and coffee, and then drag ourselves to work. How fun is that?


Come time for the weekend, I want something different for breakfast; something that won’t remind me of work. If you have read any of my What I Ate Wednesday posts, you know I already have different breakfasts than most people, but I still look for a change in routine.

Since I usually make something for Kelley before she is up, I try to think of things she likes to give her a nice Saturday or Sunday surprise. French toast called is something she seems to crave a lot, but doesn’t get to enjoy it often….so my decision was made!

This ended up better than expected and I was surprisingly done cooking before she was up. This is a rare thing for me since I seem to take forever with thinking of ingredients and taking pictures while she patiently waits to fill her empty stomach.

There are definitely more variations I’d like to try, but this one is a keeper. Using crumbs from the Kashi Autumn Wheat cereal we had added a nice crust to this healthy breakfast.


Make this on the weekend or week day for a perfect start to your day; or, hey, make it for dinner! I love breakfast for dinner!

Crunchy Vanilla Protein French Toast
by RC Liley
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Ingredients (Serves 2 or 3)
  • 6 thick slices 100% whole wheat (or other grain) bread
  • 3/4 cup leftover wheat biscuit cereal like Kashi Autumn Wheat or just Shredded Wheat; try anything you have that is crunchy and tasty like crushed Cheerios or Whole Grain Rice Crisps
  • 1/2 cup egg whites
  • 1/4 cup milk of choice; I used organic skim milk
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder; I used egg white protein sweetened with stevia
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 packets stevia powder or 12 drops of liquid stevia; or use 2 tablespoons honey or agave (you can reduce by half or more if you plan on covering the toast with syrup)
Instructions
Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat on the stove.
Mix the eggs, milk, protein powder, vanilla, cinnamon, and sweetener until well combined.
Pour egg mixture into a shallow bowl or dish and soak bread slices about 20-30 seconds per side; be careful not to let the slices soak too long or they might fall apart.
Spread crunchy cereal on a plate and coat each side of bread.
Cook each slice in skillet about 45 seconds and flip to cook for another 45 seconds.
Transfer to a warm oven or plate until finished cooking all slices.
Optional: Top with peanut (or other nut) butter and banana for an extra special (but still healthy) treat.
Powered by Recipage
 
The crunchy outside and delicate but firm inside with just the right amount of sweetness all around makes this toast the ultimate comfort food. Who says comfort food has to be heavy and unhealthy? Defy the naysayers and let me know how you like this simple weekend treat.


Q: Do you use the crushed cereal at the bottom of the bag or just usually toss it out?
I love finding a way to use every last bit of the cereal to get the most of what I paid for!

No comments:

Post a Comment