- Prepare the corn bread batter of your choice in a large bowl
- Heat a sauce pan on the stove, add garlic and onion and let simmer for 1 minute
- Add broccoli, bell peppers, refried beans, salsa, broth, herbs, and spices to the sauce pan and mix well
- Preheat oven to 365 degrees
- Let cook for about 15 to 20 minutes on the stove and remove from heat; allow to cool for 10 minutes
- Add bean mixture to corn bread batter and mix everything together
- Pour mix into glass casserole dish (I used individual sized Pyrex containers), top with saved pepper strips, and bake uncovered for 30 minutes
- If the top is getting really brown, cover with foil and continue baking for another 20 minutes
- Insert toothpick or butter knife in the middle and check that it comes out clean; unless you like it a little soft, like me
- Once done, remove from oven and let cool before serving.
This can be modified to suit your preferences, but I used these ingredients and Kelley (my official tester) confirmed it was great. As I posted yesterday, this can be enjoyed hot or cold for breakfast, lunch, or dinner
Do you like casseroles? Do you feel they are best for breakfasts or as a lunch/dinner meal?
Please share any casserole recipes you have; I love them any time of day with any kind of (healthy) ingredients.