A foodie's quest to turn up the heat through strength and conditioning with whole food and a hungry mind.

Friday, April 20, 2012

Non-GMO and Corn Free Beanitos: Healthy Snack Review


Let me start by disclosing that Beanitos provided their healthy, tasty chips to me free of charge for this review and I was not compensated in any way. The thoughts and views expressed in this post are strictly my own.

These...chips....are....amazing! Why? Where do I start? Being corn free is great since it seems like almost every packaged good (healthy or not) has some form of corn in it; mostly GMO.  Corn oil, corn starch, corn syrup, dextrin, dextrose; I could keep going, but this post is about flavorful, crunchy Beanitos bean chips without corn. Don't get me wrong, I love corn (especially Homemade Protein Corn Bread), but not in every single thing I buy.


I think Beanitos hits the key specifics in their description here...


Always Corn-Free™ Beanitos are made from whole beans.
A 1.25 oz. single-serve bag of Beanitos has:
• 6 grams complete protein
• 6 grams fiber
• 18 grams complex carbohydrates
• 10 grams fat
• 175 - 187 calories
Beanitos also have lower sodium than most chips, ranging
from 68 mg to 187 mg per serving. And since we’re
from Texas, a Beanitos serving is good-sized – about 35
grams or 1.25 oz.


....and here....


Low Glycemic – All Beanitos Bean Chips have a GI (Glycemic
index) of between 33 and 44, and a GL (Glycemic load) of
either 3 or 4.

Gluten-Free

 
Complete Protein – A complete protein supplies essential
amino acids, our bodies’ building blocks.

High Fiber – With 5 grams of fiber per serving, Beanitos
have more fiber in a single serving than some chips have in a
whole bag.
Read more benefits on their site.

When I received the giant box of individual 1.25oz serving size Beanitos bags, I was eager to taste test the product immediately. Five minutes later, I had an empty bag of Chipotle BBQ Black Bean chips in front of me; apparently I love the chips....they are awesome! I didn't feel guilty though, because I just consumed the best tasting packaged snack with high fiber, complete protein, and "clean" ingredients that I know of.


After many taste tests, I tried them plain, dipped in plain non-fat yogurt, low-fat cottage cheese, and crushed over homemade veggie lentil puree and salad. The superior crunch and flavor really stood out from other, lesser chips, and it felt like the bag quickly disappeared each time. I guess time Beanitos flies when you're having fun crunching on good food.

It was hard to share, but I brought a few bags to work for friends, had Kelley try some, and gave some to my mom to get other opinions. The feedback was unanimous; loved by all!

I'm not a huge fan of flavored packaged goods since that usually means added sugar and sodium, but the Chipotle BBQ Black Bean chips were very addicting! I think the plain Black Bean are still my number one favorite, though. When I gave a few bags to a friend at work, he opened the Cheddar Cheese chips, finished in 5 minutes, then opened another bag.  I guess he liked them, but you can make the final call on that one.

My 2 favs....

I am always on the look out for a healthy chip that meets my criteria for acceptable packaged foods I will eat, and Beanitos fits the bill. These chips make the "healthy" whole grain chips look bad with the first ingredient being whole beans and the second ingredient is whole grain brown rice. Rice and beans create the complete protein profile our bodies need to obtain the best quality you can get. This is ideal for anyone with a regular exercise routine since complete proteins support better, faster recovery.  

Beanitos is also concerned about the health of our planet and they support many "green" initiative companies like those listed here. Buying products from "green" companies makes me feel proud to help support the cause.  Do you feel the same when purchasing "green" products?
In summary, Beanitos bean chips provide a healthy, crunchy, satisfying (protein and fiber fills you up!), and downright tasty snack I recommend to anyone. Right out of the bag, with your favorite dip, crushed over salad (very good this way), or crushed over creamy soup, you can't go wrong with any flavor or method of consumption.  So, don't delay, go out and get a bag....or five (to hide some just for yourself) and enjoy the simple satisfaction of whole grain bean goodness.

Here's a healthy and easy dip recipe I created to enjoy this chips; I know you will too.
I forgot to take a picture of the dip recipe below, but here's my Cayenne Dill Dip that works great too! A great choice if you don't want the "Sweet" part.
Sweet Heat Bean Dip
Serves 4-6

6 oz low-fat cottage cheese
¼ cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt; can use regular if needed
¼ cup salsa
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon horseradish; spicy brown mustard can be used instead
1 tablespoon dill
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to taste


Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix well. Let chill for 1-2 hours to let flavors “marry”. Sprinkle chopped parsley on top and serve with your favorite Beanitos Bean Chip. If it’s too spicy, add a bit of apple cider vinegar to dull it down a little.

The puree in the pictures is my White Bean Bell Pepper Puree and pairs well with the Black Bean or Chipotle BBQ Beanitos; beer is recommended...if you're 21+.

Q: What "red flag" ingredients do you look out for when purchasing packaged products?

A: My list is extensive, but the biggest ones I avoid are hydrogenated anything, sugar in the top 5 ingredients, any "syrup", enriched flour, sucralose, or any other artificial sweetener or flavor.

2 comments:

  1. These look like an awesome and very healthy alternative to other chips! Thanks for the great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon, thank you for stopping by! These chips are a great choice over other chips; even the baked ones. Just compare the ingredients and see which one's you can actually read. Hope you can try and enjoy!

      Delete