A foodie's quest to turn up the heat through strength and conditioning with whole food and a hungry mind.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Just Add Cayenne and Desserts?

The thought occurred to me the other day that I have been posting a lot of healthy and easy dessert recipes that don’t have anything to do with cayenne. I guess I got carried away with reading so many healthy dessert recipes that I kept having to create my own. Although I love sharing the decadent treats, I think an easy and healthy recipe with cayenne is long overdue!

I don’t want anyone to think my blog name is irrelevant to the food I eat every day. I really do “just add cayenne” to everything that’s not sweet like salads, veggies, dips, etc.!

Yes, I love adding spice to my meals, and Kelley had to raise her spice tolerance due to a few mishaps in the past…..sorry, Kelley.

Dips and spreads are some of my favorite things to make since most of the store-bought versions have more crap than I care for. Plus, I want to have control of what goes in to the meals I make. I wanted something that would go great with hearty bread; maybe something like the Protein Beer Bread from yesterday’s post!

Mmmmmm, a spicy dip/spread for beer bread (I rhymed on purpose) is a perfect choice for an easy recipe anyone can make and enjoy.

If you crave Greek-style dill sauce (tzatziki) and spicy foods, make this dip to satisfy both cravings.

Cayenne Dill Dip
Ingredients

1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup Chobani Plain, Non-fat Greek yogurt
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 ½ T dill
1/2 T cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne add paprika
1 tsp onion and garlic powder (not salt!)
Ground black pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl (I used the half empty cottage cheese container so I could just keep everything inside for no cleanup) and mix well. Let flavors marry in the fridge for at least 2 hours; it will be really good overnight.

Reduce the amount of cayenne if you only like a little spice, or increase (I did) if you like a lot of spice! This is great to dip with celery, broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, and other cut veggies; or use as spread on bread like I did.

Another great idea is to pair with arugula (a great, spicy green) and use it as a sandwich filling or wrap in a tortilla. These would be great for a school or work lunch; the cottage cheese and Greek yogurt provide a healthy dose of protein and calcium growing kids need.

Wasn’t that easy? Do you like dips and spread? If you have any recipes you enjoy, please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment