Here is what I used to make one of our work lunches for the week; this will serve about 4 people as long as there are sides:
- 2 (5oz) Cans of No Salt Added Tuna; use crab, chicken, mashed beans, etc if you don’t have the tuna
- About 8oz of your favorite salsa; the amount varies, just eyeball it and add more towards the end if needed
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach or collard greens; thawed and drained of excess water
- 2 tablespoons brown mustard
- 1 whole egg or 2 egg whites
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add all ingredients in a bowl and mix to incorporate well. Scoop the mix into a lightly oiled 12 cup muffin pan (I used 9 of the 12 cups) and bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven (should have a nice brown crust on top) and let cool in pan for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Top each cake with extra salsa and a sprinkle of smoked paprika. Serve with a big side of steamed veggies and, if desired, your grain of choice.
Using oats provides a lot more nutrition than the usual breadcrumbs you see in most recipes, and salsa makes for adding a quick mix of tomatoes, peppers, and onions. If you have more time, add fresh cut bell peppers and sauté some onions and garlic before adding to your mixture. If you don’t use salsa, adding a little extra salt will help with flavor…just not too much!
|1 Work Lunch Ready to Go!|
These are a great weeknight meal idea for something different. Just make extras and bring to work for lunch the next day…perfect! And, as I mentioned before, there is no set recipe for this. I used ingredients representative of Spanish food, but I think next time will be something Greek themed. Instead of salsa and brown mustard, I think Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, and dill would make for a totally different, yet still tasty….errr cake.
Do you have a good idea for ingredients to make your own mini cake? Please post to comments on your version if you feel like sharing.