There’s a long list of health benefits provided by this amazing grain such as:
- Great Energy Source: Rich in carbohydrates, it acts as fuel for the body and aids in normal functioning of the brain.
- Rich in Vitamins: Rice is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals like niacin, vitamin D, calcium, fibre, iron, thiamine and riboflavin.
- Resistant Starch: Rice abounds in resistant starch, which reaches the bowel in undigested form. It aids the growth of useful bacteria for normal bowel movements.
- Dysentery: The husk part of rice is considered as an effective medicine to treat dysentery. A three month old rice plant’s husks is said to contain diuretic properties. Chinese people believe that rice considerably increases appetite, cures stomach ailments and indigestion problems.
- Skin Care: Medical experts say that powdered rice can be applied to cure some forms of skin ailments. In Indian subcontinent, rice water is duly prescribed by ayurvedic practitioners as an effective ointment to cool off inflamed skin surfaces.
Obviously, with its popularity and long list of nutritional benefits, I jumped at the chance to sample Jasmati rice from RiceSelect. Jasmati can be found in white, brown, or light brown varieties; I was sent a large container of white rice to cook and sample as I pleased. It didn’t take me long to decide how I would use most of the sample…..rice pudding! Something about the cool, creamy pudding that’s easy on the stomach and tasty at the same time ranks it as one of my top 5 favorite treats. It also helps that RiceSelect is local company here in Texas which automatically gains my full support.
2 1/2 cups nonfat milk
1/2 cup RiceSelect Jasmati rice , uncooked
1 15oz can light coconut milk
1 cinnamon stick, about 3 inches long
1 ½ teaspoon liquid Stevia
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
|I enjoy most treats with a cup and spoon.|
I am very happy with the outcome of this pudding, and think it is proof to have a healthy, guilt-free treat to be enjoyed everyday! I suggest you pickup some RiceSelect rice (any type is great) and start cooking today. Try this recipe with Texmati® Brown Rice for an extra health punch that is sure to please any crowd.
Do you like rice dishes as something sweet, savory, or both? What will you make with this versatile product when you get it?