A foodie's quest to turn up the heat through strength and conditioning with whole food and a hungry mind.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Coffee: Explained / Peanut Flour Power

Do you get all excited about going to the local coffee shop (or Starbucks) only to become confused on what to get once you’re there? I have found myself imagining all the ways to savor the awesomeness of java only to get “what’s currently on brew” in the end. I typically do this because the different names/styles can be overwhelming, plus I just like the black stuff without added calories i.e. cream, syrup, sugar, etc.
Foodista.com posted an easy to read graph which provides the different names of each coffee drink and their components. I found it helpful and would like to share with those who read my blog. Hope this helps you as much as it did for me.


Being the picky person I am, my go-to drink when ordering at a coffee shop is still just whatever’s on brew; usually a light or medium roast. Can you guess what I get when not ordering the ordinary? I opt for the Americano with 3 shots of espresso when I feel like splurging. This way there’s still no added cream or sugar, but when a great espresso is used, nothing else is needed. An Americano is a great option for those trying to reduce their calorie intake but still want something to “treat” themselves. As usual, a little sprinkle or drop of stevia goes a long way to help sweeten coffee or tea without adding empty cals.
You might recall the peanut flour post I wrote 2 Friday’s ago. I tried some of the suggestions listed and they were all a great success. Kelley has even started to add a few spoonfuls of the flour to her smoothies. Time to start ordering more!!
Adding peanut flour to smoothies is a quick and simple way to get the peanut nutrition without the peanut fat (which isn’t all that bad either). A little more labor intensive is using it in soups and pureeing, then the next step is baking. I just created the following sweet potato and cannellini bean soup for the week and suggest you try it too!

Sweet Potato Cannellini Peanut Soup
Ingredients – Serves 4


- 2 Medium Jersey Sweet Potatoes, scrubbed, and cut into chunks
- 1 Cup Dried Cannellini Beans (soaked overnight); about the equivalent of 1 ½ (15oz) cans
- 2 tsp Fresh Ginger, chopped
- 4 to 5 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1/2 Onion or 8oz Frozen Onion, chopped
- 16oz Frozen/Fresh Broccoli, Spinach, or any other green veggie on hand
- 8oz Frozen/Fresh Cauliflower
- 1 (15oz) Can No Salt-Added Tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 Cup Peanut Flour
- 1 Tblsp each of Cumin Powder, Dried Cilantro, Dried Parsley, Ground Fennel Seed, Chinese 5 Spice Powder
- 1 tsp each of Cayenne Powder (I use more), Paprika, and Chili Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Directions


Please note that I never really measure the herbs and spices I add, so these measurements are just a good guess. I enjoy just going with my gut feeling on how much to add; sometimes it works out……..sometimes not….sorry Kelley. I used a slow-cooker, so the method is pretty simple. Don’t worry too much on cutting to the right size since everything will be pureed. Add all ingredients except peanut flour to slow-cooker and cook on low for 6 hours. Once ready, add peanut flour and blend with an immersion blender or in a standing blender until smooth.
This soup can be served warm or cold. It’s great with a side of crusty bread or crackers along with fresh chives and a dollop of yogurt on top. Yum, I know I will make this again! Maybe even more peanut flour next time??
Here is what I created for the protein-filled baked treats......

Cocoa Peanut Protein Treats
Ingredients


- 1 Cup Peanut Flour
- 1/2 Cup Stevia sweetened Whey Protein Powder
- 1/2 Cup Whole Grain Spelt, Wheat, or Rice Flour
- 1/2 Cup Whole Rolled Oats
- 1/4 + 1 Tblsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 Whole Egg and 4 Egg Whites
- 1/2 Cup Canned Pumpkin Puree
- 1/4 Cup Applesauce or Plain Yogurt
- 1 tsp liquid Stevia or 1/4 Cup of the granulated Stevia
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Salt, Baking Powder, and Baking Soda
Directions


- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix wet ingredients in large bowl and whisk until combined
- Mix dry ingredients in another bowl
- Stir dry ingredients into large bowl until well combined; don’t mix anymore than you have to
- Pour batter into 8 x 11 baking pan; whatever you have could work too, try it flat on a cookie sheet if needed
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a fork comes out dry when stuck in the middle
- Remove and let cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then cut to desired shape and enjoy!


It’s not very sweet since I don’t add sugar, but this is good to me. If you want something sweeter, reduce the amount of pumpkin or applesauce and add 1/4 to 1/2 Cup of honey or agave.
If you haven’t already, buy some peanut flour for yourself and start adding to whatever you can think of. This versatile ingredient is a healthy addition to sweet and savory recipes. Maybe I’ll mix it with chilled coffee and ice for the next smoothie concoction. We can add it to the info-graph above and call it Café Cacahuète (French for Peanut).
Enjoy the day and good eats to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment