A foodie's quest to turn up the heat through strength and conditioning with whole food and a hungry mind.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Food Focus Friday: Peanut Flour

Peanut Flour on FoodistaPeanut FlourEver have the craving for a lot peanut butter but cringe at the calorie content of just 2 tablespoons? We’ve all been there…heck, I’m there right now! Well, I just ordered something in hopes to quell my peanut butter cravings. What is it? Peanut flour from Byrd Mill; it comes in 28% and 12% fat contents but offers all the protein and peanut flavor. There are dark and light varieties for both fat contents and most reviews say the dark has a burnt taste…..so I opted for the light 12%.
The website says the following about their Light 12%:

“This Peanut Flour is lightest in roast, aroma and flavor of all of the peanut flours offered. It is an excellent protein source, containing a minimum of 50% protein. It works well in applications where the peanut flour is not needed for flavor. This light roast peanut flour is all natural and gluten-free. The serving size is 1/4 cup (24g). Calories 100. Calories From Fat 26. Total Fat 3g. Total Carbohydrates 7g. Dietary Fiber 3g. Protein 12g.”

After trying a few recipes with this newfound (for me) food, I’ll be sure to provide a review. I would like to try several baked good versions, add it to soups / stews, add a little water to reconstitute as “peanut butter,” and add to smoothies.
Here are a few recipes I might use as a basis (I never follow an exact recipe) once the flour arrives:

I would use plain non-fat Greek yogurt instead of the flavored stuff and let the actual fruit along with some stevia do the flavoring.




The brown sugar would be minimal, if any at all in my version, but everything else sounds good!



MMMMmmmm, I can’t wait to try this one! Pureed soups are a big favorite of mine; all of the wonderful flavors are blended to perfection for comforting meal. Again, I’d lose the sugar called for in this recipe.


Besides recipes, I will just try mixing some in plain yogurt and cottage cheese for a quick and healthy treat packed with protein. Stay tuned, I can’t wait to talk about it!
Reconstituted Peanut Flour on Banana.....Nuff Said!
Before parting for the weekend, below are some interesting food news links for a good read.  The Food Pyramid is gone!!  I don't care about the plate, but wasn't too keen on the pyramid either.  I'd rather not have the government, who controls so much of agricultural production, tell me how I should eat. Until then, enjoy the pictures and let me know if you have any ideas on how to use this wonderful product.
Hello MyPlate. RIP MyPyramid. Five Comments

What is Soy Lecithin and Why is it Found in So Many Products?

Wonder Launches SmartWheat Bread. Does it Deliver on its Promise?

Time to Make the Healthy Donuts?

No comments:

Post a Comment