A foodie's quest to turn up the heat through strength and conditioning with whole food and a hungry mind.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil Review and a Pumpkin Pie Omelette


How many things do you know of that are good on and in your body?  Coconut oil is just that, and Tropical Traditions makes some of the best quality coconut oil out there!

When the noble people at Tropical Traditions sent me a quart-sized jar of their high quality Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil to try, I quickly searched for ways to use it. I first thought I would only find recipes to cook with it, but found it offers more than great, healthy cooking.


Like what you see? Get your own by clicking the giant picture of goodness and find your own ways to use this versatile oil.
Please note: If you order by clicking on any of my links and have never ordered from Tropical Traditions in the past, you will receive a free book on Virgin Coconut Oil, and I will receive a discount coupon for referring you."

Plus, have you seen the prices of some coconut oil in stores? I urge you to at least check out what Tropical Traditions has to offer and possibly help me out at the same time. I'll be very thankful....even more than I already am that you're here reading my blog. Thank you for that. : )

I have very dry hands from always washing them while in the kitchen, and sometimes they'll be painfully cracked for days.  Enter my new jar of coconut oil and my hands are healing nicely.  Every night after my shower, I'll rub a little on the problem areas to keep them hydrated; no greasy mess! This stuff is absolutely wonderful for my dry skin and I think it will help fight the upcoming winter dryness I experience perfectly.

But, obviously, we all want to know how it fares in food, right?  Simply put; awesome! This versatile and heat stable gift to us kitchen dwellers will keep your breads and pancakes safe from sticking to pans and impart flavor. Even egg dishes like my Pumpkin protein omelette inspired by Heather's (from Kiss My Broccoli) pumpkin omelette recipe easily slid right onto my plate for fast consumption.

As described on their website….
“The best and highest quality coconut oil is the wonderfully flavorful Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil. This oil is the most nutritious, but not the most consistent in taste. It is handmade and has a strong, unique coconut smell and taste that will vary slightly from batch to batch. Therefore it is not the best cooking oil if you want a consistent taste. The oil usually retains most of its natural "coconutty-ness" during cooking (e.g. stovetop cooking) but when baked almost all of the strong coconut taste will dissipate.”


Just look at it; that thing is huge!! Pumpkin was the obvious ingredient of choice here considering the season, but I'd like to try another squash like kabocha or maybe even half pumpkin and half apple?  Hmmm, I sense some more work fun in the kitchen soon.


Luckily, I have a lot left for more adventure in the kitchen and to keep my hands from cracking.  I even gave some to my mom who has been wanting to try it herself.

I found that Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil added to my favorite overnight oats mix makes it extra thick and nutritious. They list so many ways the oil can be used including baking, in dips, for ketchup, homemade salad dressings, in soups, healthy fudge, pudding, in your tea or coffee (helps chapped lips too!), and many more; check out their full list here for the many uses.

I feel very lucky to have had the chance to sample and review such a great product to me, and I have my eyes set on trying some of their Coconut Peanut Butter soon.  Two good things in one; synergy at it's finest.  It must be good, because it's currently backordered! But never fear, you can make your own delicious spread by mixing Tropical Traditions Organic Coconut Flour with your favorite peanut butter and a little water.  


Check out their site for dozens of recipes for drinks, entrees, desserts, baked items, etc.

Disclaimer: Tropical Traditions provided me with a free sample of this product to review, and I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product.

Oh yeah, I mentioned a recipe, didn't I? I'll be making this for Kelley and me (as you've already seen) all the way through into next year....and probably longer!  

Have you used coconut oil before? Please share your favorites (or non-favs that we should avoid) and the best ways to use the oil out of the kitchen too!


Pumpkin Pie Protein Omelette


Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients (Serves 2)

1/2 cup pumpkin puree; canned or fresh
2 1/2 t pumpkin pie spice
1/2 t pure vanilla extract
2 scoops vanilla protein powder; I use stevia sweetened egg white protein
4 T unsweetened almond, soy, hemp, coconut, or other milk of choice
1 T coconut oil, melted

Instructions

Heat a lightly greased skillet over medium heat

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and mix until well combined

Pour contents into hot skillet

Let mix set for 30 seconds and then slowly swirl your skillet around until the egg mixture coats the edges of the pan to avoid a heavy center

Cook for 5-6 minutes; the edges should start to pull away from the skillet

Using a spatula, carefully flip one half over to the other side to create a half moon shape

Let cook for about 2 - 3 more minutes to cook the inside and carefully slide onto plate

Optional: Top with plain, non-fat Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of cinnamon

Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment