A foodie's quest to turn up the heat through strength and conditioning with whole food and a hungry mind.

Monday, August 20, 2012

Sugar Free Peanut Butter Protein Granola: No Oil and All Natural



Hello and welcome to Monday! Kelley and I are taking to day off from work to spend the day together.  It was our 5 year wedding anniversary last Friday, August 17th, but we've been too busy to spend quality time together until now. Hopefully couple's massages will make their way into our day!!

But first, I have to make a not-so-romantic stop at the doctor; then we'll be on our way to a wonderful day! I only half-way meant to rhyme there.....promise.

In essence of time, I'm cutting this post short; I guess I'm really still on a blog break anyway.  I just wanted to take the time to share this recipe quickie I came up with on the fly.  You ever do that? Just start throwing things together in a bowl (dry in one and wet in the other), mix, and then bake/microwave/pan fry/etc to see what you can make?

My body has been feeling run down and bloated a lot, and I'm starting to think I have an intolerance to something.  I don't like self-diagnosing things, but I'm guessing gluten might be a culprit.  That sucks if so; the only cereal we buy and love is pretty gluten not free!

Being one who loves crunch in his cereal, I just turned on the oven and started mixing gluten free oats and other goodies to create a delicious crunchy cereal I can have.  Instead of oil, I just added a touch of peanut butter and pumpkin puree, and stevia is the only sweetener.

Wow! I ate the entire batch in one day.  Now I have to make more already. I'm sorry for ever questioning the purpose of having two ovens in a home as a kid; I totally get it now!

This recipe is not exact and it doesn't need to be; that's the beauty of the whole thing! With a few changes you can make sugar free chocolate protein granola, or even pumpkin spice for the coming season.  The mix can get thick, and it would make a great healthy oatmeal cookie if you formed it into circles.

I'm too impatient for that, plus I like snacking on clusters more than cookies. Give this satisfying granola recipe a try and maybe you'll stop buying the small bag of "gourmet" granola for $10+. Maybe..


Sugar and Oil Free Peanut Butter Protein Granola
by RC Liley
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 35 min
Ingredients
  • 2 cups Organic Rolled Oats
  • 2 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder; I use whey protein sweetened with stevia
  • 1/2 cup peanut flour; or 2 more scoops protein powder plus 1 T natural peanut butter
  • 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
  • 1/4 cup oat bran
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree; mashed ripe banana is excellent too
  • 2 packets of stevia powder or 20 drops of liquid stevia
  • 1 tsp Vanilla
Instructions
Preheat oven to 325.
Mix the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl using a wire whisk.
In a separate mixing bowl, add the pumpkin puree with 2 T milk or water.
Add the wet to the dry and stir until well combined.
On a parchment lined cookie sheet spread the mixture out evenly and bake for 30 – 35 minutes. Every 10-15 minutes stir the granola for even baking.
Remove from oven one oats are crisping and turning a deep golden color.
Allow to cool and enjoy however you would granola. These turn more into clusters that make them excellent for snacking at and away from home.
Powered by Recipage

Most granola recipes have a dried fruit and nuts added, but I don't care for all of that jazz.  If I want fruit, I'll add it fresh with the granola; likewise for nuts and seeds. Plus, this does have peanut butter baked into each little crunchy golden nugget.


I went through about 4 cups full of this green smoothie, plain Greek yogurt, and granola mix without even thinking about it. Consider this your warning....it's addicting!

I urge anyone reading to bake this granola as soon as possible and change it up to suit your tastes/needs.  Comment to let me know how it turns out please!

Have a marvelous Monday!

Oh yeah, congrats to Christy from Chocolate Covered Diamonds for winning the Artisana Foods Giveaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment