A foodie's quest to turn up the heat through strength and conditioning with whole food and a hungry mind.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Quick and Healthy Meatless Monday: Cool Quinoa Curry Salad


Quinoa is pretty awesome stuff.  I'm always amazed that when I mention it at work or many other places, people just get a confused look on their face.  These are the same people who can tell you when the iPad 8 (I know this isn't real; I'm exaggerating) is being released.

Being a staple seed in our home, I'm always looking for new and tasty ways to prepare the tiny spheres of complete protein. Since I just bought some curry powder, I figured I'd try it with quinoa.

The result was pure and simple bliss with each bite. Fluffy quinoa, a little bite from the curry, a big bite from the cayenne, and full of healthy green veggies all work magic in this simple dish.  Now that the warmth is probably here to stay, this is a perfect meal to bring along on a picnic or to work for a cool lunch.

Make this Curry Quinoa Salad and double the ingredients to have again or for a quick fridge to plate dinner.

Ingredients  (serves 3-4):•1/2 cup dry quinoa; rinsed
•3 - 4 cloves garlic, minced
•1 onion; chopped
•12oz package of frozen green beans
•10 - 12oz package of frozen chopped broccoli
1/2 cup of any beans you have; I used black-eyed peas, but black, kidney, garbanzo, or any white beans would be great too
•1 cup chicken stock
•2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
•1 tablespoon each of curry powder, cumin, basil, cilantro
•1/2 teaspoon cayenne
•sea salt and pepper to taste

To prepare:
1. Heat non-stick sauce pan.
2. Add garlic and onion. Cook for three minutes or until soft. Add spices and let toast for 20 seconds.
3. Add vegetables, quinoa, stock and salt and pepper (if desired).
4. Cook for 20 minutes or until quinoa is fully cooked (it will be translucent).
5. Transfer to large bowl or portion out into storage containers for each person. Place in fridge to chill.

3. Whenever you're ready, take out of fridge and enjoy; no heat required!


Kelley doesn't like them, but I added sliced beets to mine. Great color contrast and taste (to me)!
I have been finding many ways to use quinoa, including quinoa pancakes for Kelley and quinoa cookies with goat cheese, rosemary, and espresso balsamic.

Interested?  I'll be posting recipes soon!

What food staples do you use each week?  Is it boring or something you'd never give up?

I always have yogurt and some form of squash ready to use.  These things are not boring and I most certainly would never give them up!

No comments:

Post a Comment