In the United States, Super Bowl Sunday has the second largest food consumption in a day; Thanksgiving is the first. Here are some stats found on Yummly.com for the average Super Bowl viewer:
- 1,200 calories: Amount the average Super Bowl watcher will consume while snacking.
- Football fans are expected to eat an estimated 69.6 million pounds of avocados during this year’s Super Bowl (mostly in guacamole).
- The most popular take-out and delivery items on Super Bowl Sunday are pizza, chicken wings, and sandwiches.
- It is estimated that Americans will eat 90 million pounds of chicken wings, which breaks down to 450 million individual wings!
- An astounding 14,500 tons of chips and 4,000 tons of popcorn are eaten on Super Bowl Sunday.
- Super Bowl Sunday is the biggest winter grilling day of the year.