A foodie's quest to turn up the heat through strength and conditioning with whole food and a hungry mind.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Last Day in Breck and A Spaghetti Squash Tutorial

Kathy asked me about what would be acceptable if she were to cook something for us, and after explaining I am better off preparing my own food, she was persistent and I caved in. Good thing I did!

After discussing our options and my food recommendations, we decided on baked salmon with a side of spaghetti squash. She had the squash several times when eating out, but never made it at home and wasn't sure of what it looked like in raw form.  I showed her where it was in the store and how easy it is to prepare. Now I think (and hope) she'll be making this more often. 
Kathy scooping the squash into a serving bowl. What a natural!

All you do is cut in half, scoop out the seeds, place each half face down on a dish and cover with plastic wrap, and then microwave for 9 - 12 minutes.  After demonstrating how to pull the "spaghetti" strands with a fork, Kathy took a stab at it and was really amazed at how they pull apart.  I was equally amazed at how she simply topped our salmon with my homemade herb & spice mix, wrapped in foil, and baked in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes.  Delish!  The end result was a buttery soft salmon that flaked easily and each bite was delectable.
My bowl of spaghetti squash with baked salmon and Brussels sprouts.

I usually enjoy the squash with nothing added, but a little salt and pepper can make this an excellent side dish.  People on a low-carb diet or anyone really can enjoy this as a substitute to spaghetti; hence the name.  Spaghetti squash is low in calories, contains folic acid, potassium, protein, vitamin A and C, good source of fiber, omega-3 essential and omega-6 fatty acids, and has no cholesterol.

Today, after perking up with some local java, we met Steve and Kathy at the dog park  The dogs came too. It was a lot less crowded than when we went on President's Day, but it didn't take long for more dogs to arrive. Abby, and even Harry seemed to have an enjoyable time and made a lot of new friends. Poor Harry accumulated a lot of snowballs on his fur; good thing he had that sweater to keep him warm!
Harry rocking the red sweater.
Abby playing with one of many newfound dog friends.

I made another trek up the hill nearby until I tired from fighting my way in the knee-deep snow and was unable to see anyone below. There was more snow on the ground than last time, but everything was so peaceful and quite, it was well worth the climb.
Me making my way up the snowy hill.

After I came back down, Kathy and I made a few sled runs on a very uncrowded hill. I gave her a nice push the first time, then the sled slanted left and she toppled over. The next time was a better run after she used a better sled that can be controlled easier.
Kathy and me after our first run down the hill. We're discussing our strategy for the next time down.

This was our last day in Breckenridge, and we're sad to have to leave (at 6 a.m. tomorrow!), but I'm sure we'll be back. Kelley and I had a great walk up a popular road which really had us sweating by the time we reached the top. The view was beautiful and we enjoyed each other's company; plus we had some fun playing in the snow.
Kelley after jumping into the snow. 
Me jumping into the snow.

After our walk, we visited a local olive oil and vinegar shop (Olive Fusion) where we were invited to sample multiple olive oils in balsamic vinegars.  We sampled a lot of flavored vinegars like honey ginger, raspberry, dark chocolate, and our favorite, espresso.  We also tried some great oils and walked out with a big bottle of espresso balsamic vinegar, a 275ml bottle of garlic evoo (for Steve and Kathy), and a small 60ml bottle of garlic evoo for ourselves.  Look out for a future post on baked salmon coated with espresso balsamic....YUM!

I want to thank Steve and Kathy for welcoming us into their (2nd) home and putting up with my picky food ways. I thoroughly enjoyed our time here and hope everyone feels the same. I'm sure we'll already plan our next trip to Breck, and hope that it is in the summer!

Do you have any favorite vacation spots you visit regularly? 

No comments:

Post a Comment