A foodie's quest to turn up the heat through strength and conditioning with whole food and a hungry mind.

Monday, January 16, 2012

MLK Day Off & Overnight Oatmeal Crisps

We get this Monday, 01/16/12 in honor of Martin Luther King Jr.  Thank you, Mr. King, for helping us be free from working today!!

Unfortunately, Kelley has been and still is sick with a vicious cold; the thing won't go away!  So today she is getting some needed rest while I do things in the kitchen (surprise).  I made a mini version of Tomato and Bean Bread Soup (recipe will come in a future post) that she really enjoys.  It wasn't the same as usual since it calls for white kidney (cannellini) beans and I didn't have fresh garlic or many tomatoes to use.  Either way, I think she was pleased and I hope the wholesome food helps fight the crap inside.  The soup plus lots of herbal tea is hopefully working for her.....at least it can't hurt!

Besides chopping a jicama to bring to work for the week and cooking a work lunch for us, I made Overnight Oatmeal Crisps.  I just recently started to make these instead of baking so much with eggs, egg whites, and pumpkin puree in order to save time.  The beauty of these is you can use mostly the same spices and flavorings you like in cookies, but in a much healthier way.

Just soaking rolled oats by filling with water to the top of the oats in a container is nothing, and they make for a great warm cereal meal on a cold day.  If it's hot outside, just eat the soaked oats cold.....it's very refreshing.  My favorite add-ins are vanilla whey protein powder, peanut flower, and cinnamon with several drops of liquid stevia.

I just use an empty yogurt container to fill with oats, spices, powders, and a dash of salt; fill with water and let sit overnight or at least an hour in the fridge.  The starch from the oats help bind things together for that cookie-like result. Here is what I commonly use to make these, but this is easily customized to suit the tastes of anyone.

Overnight Oatmeal Crisps

Ingredients
- Rolled Oats; I just buy these in bulk and use how ever many will almost fill various containers
- Peanut flour, natural whey protein powder, non-fat dry milk powder; I try to use in a 1 part flour to 4 parts oats ratio, but doesn't have to be exact.
- Dash of sea salt
- 10 to 15 drops of liquid stevia
- Optional: Chia Seeds (these gel up nicely when soaked and help bind the oats even more); nuts or dried fruit might work too, but I haven't tried.

Directions
Once I have an empty yogurt container (no need to clean it out), I pour the oats in leaving some extra space at the top for the other ingredients. I usually add a good amount of peanut flour along with some vanilla whey protein and a few chia seeds.  Together, these make up about 1/2 a cup for the 32oz container in the picture.  Add a sprinkle of sea salt, cinnamon, and 12 drops of liquid stevia (honey or agave would work too) then gently shake the container to mix together.  Add water (use milk if you wish) to where it rises just above the oats and stir everything together until well incorporated. 
You'll notice the mixture already thickening; just let sit in the fridge for at least an hour.

When ready, pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees, spread the oats thin on a cookie sheet and bake for about 30 - 40 minutes turning once you see them browning on one side.



These should come out nice and crispy; enjoy!  They are usually sturdy enough to hold up to a good yogurt and peanut butter dip or to let soak in milk.  I like just having something tasty, crunchy, and made in our kitchen.

If you have ripe bananas around, mash one and mix that into the oats too.  Bananas are great when using peanut flour and cocoa powder in the mix...try it!

I hope you give this a shot and let me know what flavors you used.  Happy MLK day, try not to get sick!!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I may try adding some banana in like you suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. where can I find the recipe for your oatmeal cake?

    Chris
    chriswms48@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris, thank you for checking out my blog. I actually just posted the oatmeal cake recipe on today's post. Use the link below to see today's post....I hope you like it!

    http://justaddcayenne.blogspot.com/2012/03/baked-peanut-butter-oatmeal-cake.html

    ReplyDelete