Thursday, June 30, 2011
What’s For Dinner? Try A Pie!
The Shepherd’s Pie got its name because the original recipe used minced mutton (adult sheep), which is commonly associated with the shepherds that herd the sheep. Cottage Pie traditionally contains other meats like poultry, beef, rabbits, etc, but Shepherd’s Pie is the dominate name used for either variation today. The recipe was created as a means to deal with the wealth of sheep in areas of England. Mashed potatoes were used as the layer (instead of pastry dough for Pot Pies) as a means to use leftovers.
Now that you have some history on this savory meat pie, would like some ideas on how to make it? The beauty of preparing a shepherd’s pie is its simplicity because you can use leftovers. So cook some extra ground beef, diced chicken, shredded turkey, or hearty beans (for the vegetarian) along with extra mashed potatoes to save and use when ready. There are many ways to make and enjoy a shepherd’s pie, and quality mashed potatoes can make or break the meal. I’ll start with a good and healthy mashed tater recipe I use.
Healthy Mashed Potato Recipe
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 2lbs Russet, Red, Sweet, or Gold potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled, cubed in 1 1/2 in chunks; use whatever you like best, they’re all good
- 1/4 Cup Reduced Sodium Chicken Stock or Broth
- 2 T Non-fat, Plain or Greek Yogurt
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced; if you don’t have garlic, 3 teaspoons of garlic powder will work
- 2 t Paprika
- 1 t Cayenne Powder
- 2 T Dried Parsley
- Sea Salt and Pepper
1. Place potatoes in a large heavy pot and cover with cold salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until tender (should slide off a fork when pierced), 10 to 15 minutes.
2. While potatoes are boiling, heat a small sauté pan and roast the minced garlic until slightly brown and fragrant.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 1 pound cooked ground beef or mutton or diced, ground, or shredded turkey or poultry; 1 (15oz) can of beans for the vegetarians
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs mashed potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp of celery seeds
- 2 medium stalks of Celery, chopped
- 3/4 cups coarsely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 t Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 T chopped rosemary
- 1 T Cumin powder
- 1 1/2 t Cayenne Powder
- 3/4 tsp of white pepper
- Salt and Pepper
4. Cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.