A foodie's quest to turn up the heat through strength and conditioning with whole food and a hungry mind.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Gooey Sugar Free Protein Brownies: Easy to Make and Healthy to Eat!


Ugh. Monday’s are just hard to enjoy; unless you have the day off. For some reason, I just wake up annoyed at everyone on Mondays…….sorry if you encounter me on this day. But, if I have some of these awesome brownies I made, I just might be in a better mood.



Like most of my posts might be for a while, I need to make them short. But before I just give out a recipe that you’d be crazy not to love, I should ask how your weekend was. So, how was your weekend?



Do anything fun? I know a few of you fellow bloggers had tests to study for and moving into a new place. Hope everything went well with the move if you did this, and that you’re acing those tests now! I remember cramming for big tests the night before. Procrastination still means you’re getting it done; right?


I’m glad to be finished with school, and although I’d love to go back for something I am actually passionate about (I have a finance degree now), I don’t like the thought of balancing full-time work and school; and the cost too! I value family, and would like to spend the time after work with family, in the kitchen (sorry, Kelley, I know I take forever!), or exercise.


Trying to find the right balance of exercise has been stressing me more than it should lately. When I was running all the time…I just ran…..all the time. Besides different paces and few bodyweight strength moves, there was nothing more to it. Now I am working on strength and trying to keep some cardio/endurance from my running days.


I want to be stronger, so I must lift heavy...not run all the time!!! This applies to healthy eating too.


A running plan is pretty easy for me to follow, but I never feel like I’m doing enough with strength training. No matter how much I read about not getting caught up in trying to do too many lifts at once, I just feel like I “have” to spend longer. I consciously know doing barbell squats, bench, dead lifts, and bent rows works the whole body, but for some reason I want more. Sometimes my body tells me differently; it wants (needs) rest, but I’m too stubborn.


Anyway, I enjoy the variety with lifting, and have been getting stronger. Now I just need to work on eating more delicious and healthy food. I think these brownies are a big help! I just blended everything together and poured into a brownie pan and viola! Moist, tender, gooey, brownies that are guilt free and tasty!!



These are very dense, as you can see, and are best enjoyed on top or mixed into chilled Greek yogurt or even just soaked in a cup/bowl of cold milk. Have you ever blended peanut butter with just milk (dairy or non-dairy)? Do it, make these brownies, and mix some into peanut butter milk….then be happy!

P.S. - Don't try this recipe in a donut baking pan! The batter does not do well in this mold and resulted in me scraping most of them out.  Of course, these won't be wasted and I'll mash it up with frozen banana and milk. You have been warned, don't make in molds unless you want this......


What happens when you have extra batter and don't just try to make mini brownies...

I think I'll stick with these instead...





Sugar Free Chocolate Protein Brownies

by RC Liley
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 35 min

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup of stevia sweetened or unsweetened protein powder; I used a 50/50 mix of unflavored whey and unsweetened vanilla soy protein powder
  • 3/4 cup oat bran
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened of cocoa
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp or less of salt
  • 3/4 cup egg whites
  • 1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese or 0% plain (I’m sure vanilla would be great too) Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree or mashed banana
  • 1/2 cup milk of choice; I used unsweetened almond milk
Instructions
Add all ingredients to bowl of a food processor and blend well.
Pour into brownie pan lined with parchment; you could try a muffin or doughnut pan too
Bake for about 35 - 40 minutes at 350 degrees F - a fork, knife, or toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean
Powered by Recipage

2 comments:

  1. these look awesome! so fudgy and dense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fudgy and dense they are! Maybe another good treat for your BF to celebrate the move-in. Hope all went well with that this weekend.

      Delete