A foodie's quest to turn up the heat through strength and conditioning with whole food and a hungry mind.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

WIAW #3 – Ode to Brussels Sprouts!

It’s week two of WIAW Green Theme Month and what better way to participate than with Brussels sprouts! I mentioned them several times before, and by now, any frequent reader knows how I love them. Forget a bowl of popcorn, I’d pick a bowl of these to sit down and watch a movie with. Apologies to anyone near me though…


This was supposed to be a cut back week for cooking, but I ended up cooking more than I planned. It’s not a surprise though; it’s just second nature to cook and feels weird not to start stove and oven first thing Saturday morning. I made a red quinoa dish as mentioned in Monday’s post and it got the empty dish of approval from our work friend. I’m glad he liked it since I’m not used to cooking for anyone else other than Kelley; plus, with the broccoli and avocado in there, he unknowingly celebrated WIAW: Green Food Month…..but on Monday.

Breakfast – Leftover red quinoa with veggies and dehydrated okra and Brussels sprouts; French Press coffee with a dab of organic skim milk and pure vanilla extract; I finished with a mix of Arrowhead Mills Corn Puffs, Kashi GoLean cereal, and dry roasted soy nuts 


Snack – Breakfast was pretty late and lunch was just around the corner, so I had a handful of soy nuts and black tea with NuNaturals stevia.


Tuesday's lunch before being pureed.
Lunch – Steamed Jersey sweet potato and broccoli with baked cod in a teriyaki sauce. Yesterday’s white bean and bell pepper puree had more green before being pureed, so I’ll count that too. I had a side snack of dehydrated Brussels sprouts and okra along with lunch, and double bagged green tea to drink.

Would you like some fish with that seasoning?

Liquid Snack – Green and red (rooibos) tea bags mixed and brewed



These are great on salad or by themselves.
Dinner and Beyond – Just like almost every night, a big salad topped with roasted mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts I made this past weekend. Then I moved on to part of my mini baked oatmeal cake with peanut butter Chobani Greek yogurt “icing”. Want to make this for yourself? Don’t worry; I’ll post the recipe soon! Patience is a …..aww who am I kidding, waiting sucks, but it won’t be long.

No guilt with this sugar-free baked oatmeal goodness!

Creamy Peanut Butter Squash Puree
My after dinner, dinner included the standard 2 cups of different purees I made ahead of time. One cup was filled with steamed carrots, yellow squash, frozen mixed berries, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, a splash of whiskey (like Eggnog…kinda), whey protein powder, NuNaturals liquid stevia and unsweetened almond milk. The next cup was acorn squash, peanut flour, cinnamon, NuNaturals vanilla liquid stevia, and unsweetened almond milk. Both were good, but the peanut flour was exquisite and tasted like eating a thinner version of peanut butter from the jar…mmmm.

As I mentioned in my meals above, I had dehydrated Brussels sprouts and okra as snacks that I made for my Green Foods. I love dehydrating foods and feel like I need another dehydrator to support this newfound healthy snack-maker. I’ve made okra before, but this was a first for the Brussels; next time I need to let them go longer or cut in half since these still had a little moisture in the center. Moisture or not, I loved the concentrated flavor and will make many more times. Plus, the dehydrated Brussels would be a lot easier to actually eat like popcorn….hmmm, just a thought.

Have you ever made your own dehydrated foods or want to try soon? What foods have you or would you dehydrate? 

Don't forget to enter to win NuNaturals Stevia Products!
Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment