A foodie's quest to turn up the heat through strength and conditioning with whole food and a hungry mind.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Baked Zevia Pumpkin Protein Donuts

How was your Valentine’s Day? Ha, look, I just asked a question I don’t really expect an answer for….one of my pet peeves. Just like asking “What’s up?” or “How is it going?” as you pass by someone without stopping. I know, I just wrote on this in a past post, but it’s a daily thing and I had it on my mind….. again.

Randomness aside, I do hope your V-day was a good one for being on a Tuesday. Kelley and I exchanged hand-written notes and she enjoyed the crispy and burned oatmeal crisps I made for her. Even though she claims to like the burned crisps, and I believe it as she almost finished the bag the same day, I still felt bad. So, I decided to try making something else to compensate.

I found a baking pan molded to make baked donuts a few weeks ago and finally talked myself into buying it last weekend. This was perfect to try making something for Kelley without oats and to test out the new pan.

The end result was better than expected. As usual, I didn’t use any real measurements, just added dry ingredients to one bowl, wet in the other, and then mixed it all together. I’ll share everything I used with approximate amounts, but it might take a little adjusting to make it right.


Getting ready to add the Zevia! Save a little for yourself.

Mmmmm, this can only end with something tasty!!

I made too much batter but didn't want to save it, so these are all too full.  You'll see, they look more like muffins out of the oven.

I'm thinking a good coating of natty peanut butter and honey would complete these.  Banana too!

Half donut and half muffin......Monut?....Duffin?

To make these, you need the following ingredients:

Baked Zevia Pumpkin Protein Donuts 
  • 1 1/4 Cups Whole Grain Spelt Flour
  • 1 3/4 Cups Unsweetened Whey Protein Powder; Use flavored or another protein source if you’d like
  • 1/4 Cup Non-fat Milk Powder
  • 2 T Ground Cinnamon; Yes, I used a lot and would add even more next time
  • 1 t Ground Ginger
  • 2 t Baking Powder
  • 1/2 t Baking Soda
  • 1/2 t Salt
  • 1 Whole Egg
  • 3 Egg Whites
  • 3/4 Cup Pumpkin Puree
  • 1 t Pure Vanilla Extract
  • 1 T Distilled White Vinegar; optional*
  • 1/2 Can of Zevia Crème Soda; add slowly to make sure you don’t use too much, or add more dry ingredients
  • ~ 10 Drops Liquid Stevia; original or vanilla works great, use less if you are new to Stevia
*Vinegar makes the baking powder and baking soda react to create a rising effect which helps make a softer, less dense product.

I tend to bake in a very un-orderly fashion and have trouble remembering the exact order I did things (probably b/c I’m cooking 3 other things!); so just keep that in mind please…

Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit
- Mix all dry ingredients (first 8 on list) in a large bowl and stir a few times with a wire whisk. Beat eggs and then mix all wet ingredients except vinegar in another, smaller bowl.

- Create a well in the center of your dry ingredients and slowly pour wet ingredients while mixing to combine with a spatula. Once everything is mixed, add the vinegar and give it a few stirs; you might notice a slight rise in the mixture.

- Pour into your new baked donut pan (a muffin, loaf, or cake pan will work too) and bake for 25 – 30 minutes. Depending on what pan you use, times will vary; test if yours is done by making sure a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

- Remove from oven once ready and let cool in pan for 5 to 10 minutes. After cooling a little, remove from oven and let cool the rest of the way on a wire rack.

Serve to wife, make wife happy, be happy yourself because wife is happy…..don’t not be happy.
 
I sliced and toasted these for Kelley on Valentine’s Day morning before work, and served with agave nectar. Greek yogurt, banana, and peanut butter would be great additions to really make this a perfect, healthy treat.


Do you have a favorite baking or other cooking dish, pan, utensil, etc.? I think I just found a new one….

No comments:

Post a Comment