A foodie's quest to turn up the heat through strength and conditioning with whole food and a hungry mind.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie.....with Tofu?

Sound weird?  If you're used to the standard heavy cream and sugar based desserts, of course this sounds weird; but using silken tofu in pudding, pie, smoothie, and many other sweet or savory recipes is a healthy way to enjoy "sweets" without the guilt.

Using silken tofu in my "dessert" creations is pretty new to me, but I will start using more often.  The tofu does not have a strong taste of its own, so it is perfect to use since it will take on the flavor of other foods you use.  So, pureed pumpkin with bananas have nothing but great taste to me; why not use tofu for a healthy does of protein and volume-adder in place of sugar and cream.

Tofu is an inexpensive source of protein and it contains a high concentration of tryptophan, the sleep aid found in turkey and over-the-counter supplements. Research suggests that tofu can lower LDL (bad) cholesterol and triglyceride levels while possibly raising HDL (good) cholesterol levels. The selenium found in tofu is an excellent anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory agent. In addition, it provides an excellent source of iron to vegetarians.

I will not consume soy that is genetically modified (GMO), so I make sure the tofu I use from non-gmo soy (here's why).  I plan on making many other variations with silken tofu similar to my different squash puree smoothies, but here is the one I've had so far.

Pumpkin Pie Tofu Smoothie - makes 2 servings
- 4 oz. silken tofu
- 1-1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 frozen small banana
- 3/4 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice)
- sprinkle of nutmeg
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1/2 TBSP honey or 1 teaspoon stevia
- Optional:  add vanilla protein powder or peanut butter for extra protein and flavor


Add all ingredients to blender and blend until well combined. Add extra milk if necessary, ands erve with an additional small sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg on top.

Silken tofu works great as a replacement for eggs in baking recipes.  I love eggs and bake with them, but it's always fun to have options and see what you can create!  Give this tofu brownie recipe a try if you get a chance, I will be doing so soon!

Have you used Silken or Firm Tofu in a recipe before?  If so, did you like what you made or never want it again?

1 comment:

  1. Looks good and I am sure it will taste great all exept for the toro!!!!:p ~regan detweiler

    ReplyDelete