I have been craving Mexican cuisine lately, so today is Meatless Monday with Mexican flair. Being Monday where no one is happy about the end of the weekend and beginning of a work week, it’s good to keep meal prep nice and simple. Simple is not the same as a convenient drive-thru window at a nearby fast food chain, a little prep in your own kitchen is needed. But, this can be fun and done in less than 30 minutes.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 can of fat-free refried pinto or black beans; check the ingredients to make sure there are no hydrogenated oils or words you can’t pronounce
- Reduced fat (part-skim) mozzarella cheese or cheese sticks
- Dried cilantro
- 16oz Jar of your favorite salsa
- 6 inch Corn tortillas; I prefer the Food For Life sprouted whole grain tortillas
- Garlic, Cumin, and Onion Powder
- Cayenne; of course!!
- Shredded lettuce
* Optional – instead of sour cream, use fat-free plain yogurt as a healthy substitute
With these ingredients you can make several things; tostadas, chips and dip, and bean burritos.
Mix the can of refried beans with your jar of salsa, cilantro, garlic, cumin, onion, and cayenne powder. Cut or shred the cheese to your liking. Spread the bean mixture on top of a corn tortilla and sprinkle about 1/2 or 1 ounce of cheese on top; toast in a toaster over or conventional oven at 375 degrees until the edges start to turn brown and crispy. Remove from oven, let cool, add shredded lettuce and a dollop of plain yogurt if desired, and eat!